Tuesday, December 21, 2010

coyotes

I just want everyone to know there are coyotes that live in the woods off to the side of our sub. I have seen one several times in the field in the back of my home and my neighbor has seen one as well. What made it so real was I was awoken out of a dead sleep to them howling last night. So everyone please be careful with our neighborhood kids and small animals. I'm not sure if anything can be done with our township or not. Any ideas??

7 comments:

Jen said...

No idea if the county can do anything but the DNR of Michigan says the following should be done.

Never approach or touch a coyote
Never intentionally feed a coyote
Eliminate all outside food sources, especially pet foods
Put garbage out the morning of pickup day
Clear out wood and brush piles; they are good habitat for rats and mice and may attract coyotes
Good husbandry practices, guard animals, and coyote control measures can help to protect livestock
Do no allow pets t roam free when coyotes are present
Consider keeping pets indoors or accompany them outside

mommenow30 said...

Did you hear them Jen?

Anonymous said...

did you hear

this
http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Wild_Coyote_sounds.aspx

or this
http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Fox_Sounds_audio.aspx

The first is a coyote the second is a fox. I have seen fox in the area, but haven't seen any signs of coyotes. I'll have to go walking along the wooded areas and look for tracks

mommenow30 said...

It was for sure a coyote. I've seen the fox too!

mommenow30 said...

those sounds bites are dead on!! the #1 sound is how they were monday night! my husband went walking around our property and saw coyote prints. we live on beechwood facing the now plowed field. the were close to our home as well. pretty scary!!!

BCM said...

We heard them Monday night as well, and they are definitely coyotes...The howling woke us up some time after 2:00 AM.

A few weeks back I did see one running out of Thornton Farms, crossing Parker right near the entrance.

BCM

Sarah said...

I've seen they coyotes as well. I saw one the other day crossing Jackson rd right before Parker coming home. There are both fox and Coyotes in the area. One other thing we've seen, which may not be as big of a concern, is we have a raccoon out here that's been roaming around in the day. These animals shouldn't be out in the day, and it was in our garage not to long ago. We got it out, but our neighbor saw it down by the clubhouse a few weeks ago. Just a heads up to maybe tell the kids that these are NOT friendly animals although they are cute. Very well could have rabies ...