I took my daughter to the playground tonight, and noticed the following:
1) Not one or two, but THIRTEEN separate piles of dog poop inside the playground area. This is just sick. Scott, you mentioned last fall that you were looking in to a sign - any progress? Any problems with me picking one up and mounting it on the fence? Is there actually a rule against dogs in there? If not, how quickly can we make one?
SERIOUSLY - whether everyone agrees that it would be a real deterrent or not, at least a sign would be a constant reminder and let others know they can report people with dogs in that area.
THIS AREA IS NOT A DOG PARK!
2) Many of the lights/fans are on in the clubhouse. Are these on timers? If not, can we turn them off or get CFL lights to replace the incandescents? Seems like a big waste of energy to leave that stuff on all the time.
3) The playground trash receptacle is overflowing. How often is it supposed to be picked up, and by whom?
4) Who is responsible for weeding/maintaining the community flower gardens and hedges? Many have weeds that come up past my knees. I pulled one out and could have fed a small family with its large root.
Frankly, it seems a little contradictory to see the signs out by the road claiming this is one of the areas better builders/neighborhoods, when anybody who drives by can plainly see so many issues (unkept lawns/homes, etc). Makes me wonder by the builder is sitting on so many board seats while being so apparently inactive with community upkeep. I mean, they have a vested interest in maintaining the neighborhood - why bind our hands with only two seats and do so little themselves? Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Chris & Lynn
3 comments:
The issue of dogs in the playground is interesting. I brought it up at our last meeting and not much has changed since then. I suppose we can buy our own sign and put it up, however I'm guessing the people that take dogs in there and don't clean up after them won't really care if there is a sign or not. I assume most everyone knows that they need to clean up after their pets, so when they don't...no sign is going to help. I'll try to come up with something else that might help this situation.
The lights and fans in the clubhouse...I don't know. I'll speak to Dean and see what the status of them is. I can't imagine everything is on all day,every day but I don't know. If so, we need to either shut everything off (obviously) or get some sort of timers installed.
The playground trash should be serviced by the same company that services the building trash (the large wire and wood waste bins.) If the trash isn't being removed, I'll try to make a point to come by and clear it out and put new bags in.
The weeding and maintenance of the flower beds, lawn, etc. is the same company that comes in and mows the common areas in the community. I have been working on getting them to mow the field across from the sales office - this has always been mowed in the past, but nothing this year. I'll send that message on to them as well. So far they have many different sprinkler heads not turned on, they haven't mowed some areas and apparently we have a serious weed issue. This should be a relatively easy one to take care of.
As far as 2 seats vs. 3 seats...It's just the way the bylaws have been written. I would love to have some sort of control and be able to make some decisions on our own, however this could/would always cost us money. Right now, the major decisions (for the most part) are being paid for by Lombardo...so it's really a double-edged sword.
I'll try to take care of as many of these as I can and see what we can do about the community issues.
Scott Hummel
Board of Directors, Thornton Farms
8142 Cypress Circle
scottdhummel@yahoo.com
Post a Comment