Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bus stop

Hi neighbors. I am blogging about my concerns at the bus stop. My oldest daughter was the initial person to take the Thornton Farms bus in March of 2006 and I have seen our bus transportation set up degrade over the years. I have children that ride at both times in the morning and afternoon, so these concerns apply more so to the k-4/mill creek (7:45a, 3:40p) bus times. There seems to be many cars on all sides of the main road (Beechwood), parked oddly in the lots hindering incoming parents trying to park, parked along no parking zones (upper parking area) and then the ultimate race to run to the edge of the bus line- get blocked by the bus and then be the first one to run back home. Not only is this "race car" parking in a no parking zone near the edge of the bus line, but you choose to do so when you see the bus coming-the same time many of our children are exiting the vehicles. What I am suggesting is common courtesy to neighbors and PARK in a PARKING SPACE, whether in the upper parking lot or the lower parking lot and give the neighbors and ultimately the children the safety we all deserve. In case you missed it, we all received a message from Dexter Transportation last week. I suggest we adhere by Dexter transportation "rules" or as mentioned by the school district before, school districts do NOT need to provide transportation to the schools. They do so as a courtesy.

1 comment:

Common Sense said...

I was somewhat relieved when Dexter sent out the letter again spelling out what the rules are around our children boarding the bus. It has been a constant source of concern for me watching all that goes on. I can appreciate everyone is in a rush in the morning and wants to get out of there to work or where ever they are going. However, we need to keep in mind the safety of the children. I have seen children almost backed into in the parking lot down by the swimming pool. As I understand it, cars are not supposed to move while the bus is present regardless of where they park. It's virtually impossible to see children out of the rear window when you're backing up. Cars should not be lining up near the children where the kids are lined up and waiting to get on the bus. If you are in that much of hurry to leave then you should seek some kind of alternate method in the morning before someone gets hurt.