Sunday, December 20, 2009

Winter roads

Does anyone know why the roads were not plowed or salted this weekend. I know it was not a major storm but still the roads will become slick.

6 comments:

BretOsburn said...

Seconded...

With the amount of the 2010 budget going to snow removal there's no reason for there to have been no trucks out on the road this weekend.

nmhome said...

Is the plowing getting worse every year, or is it just me?
Why don't they plow the day it snows, not a day later after it's all matted down from being driven on so much. I noticed other subs today as I drove by them, & noticed how much cleaner the roads were in them compared to ours.

TheNfamily said...

Does anyone know the "minimum" requirements for the snow to be plowed? Most subs pay a pre-determined amount prior to the season regardless of how many times they plow. Is that the case w/our sub? I have a feeling we aren't getting our money's worth-it seems they only salt at the entrance.

BretOsburn said...

A neighbor told me that when they called in about the roads after the first snow this year they were told the plowing company only comes out if we receive two inches of snow. If that's the case we're definitely over paying. Have they even come out yet this year?

sheepdog159 said...

I came home last night (12/31) and the roads in the sub were completly iced over. I have seen the contractors plow only a couple of times but have not seen them drop any salt. And the times they plowed they tore up some of my neighbors sod and it ended up in my driveway. We really need to check into what we are paying for and if it doesn't satisfy our needs then we need to look into a new contract or new contractor. I did not live in the neighborhood last winter, but if this lack of service continues I'd hate to see how bad the roads get when there is more than a few inches of accumulation. This service is more than just for convience, it's for our safety. Also, I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that our association may be somewhat liable for any injury incurred on our streets due to negligence to maintain the roads. I'd hate to see someone injured on our streets due to negligence, whose ever fault it may be (ours or the contractors).

scott & molly said...

The snow removal service won't come out to plow unless there are a minimum of 2 inches of snow on the ground. Thus, they have only been out a couple of times this year. The amount of money we're spending on the company this year has decreased, while the contracted services are the same. The last time the company came out to plow, they had a couple areas that weren't done properly and we had them come back out to plow those again. They also put more salt down in the entrance areas.

There's always a "breaking in" period when a new company begins snow removal. If there are areas that aren't being plowed or if there are areas that are being destroyed, please let me (and/or Kramer-Triad know) and we can let the plow company know. We used this company to save the association money and receive the same services, if we aren't happy we can request they come back and fix whatever needs fixing.

My area was plowed the night after the storm and the next day the street was mostly clear. Some ice and packed snow, but for the most part they did a good job. I certainly can't speak for the rest of the community, but as I said if there is an issue please bring it to me or Kramer-Triad. We can't help if you don't let us know. My email is listed below. I check it often and try to respond to any issues within 24 hours.

As far as over paying - our contract is for the season. This is much cheaper than our conract from last year for the same services.

Scott Hummel
Thornton Farms Board of Directors
scottdhummel@yahoo.com