Sunday, June 21, 2009

Black Dog...AGAIN!

We were in our yard playing with our children (one of which is scared to death of big dogs) and a black ?lab? (that lives on cypress, with I think 2 collars on, and a bluish colored dog tag) ran through our yard and pooped right in front of us. This is getting to the point of being ridiculous. It happens constantly. Can you PLEASE keep your dog in your own yard? If you can't do this then we will have to contact the association because I am sure there is a rule about dogs being out not on leashes. This dog was running up and down the yards, and onto decks many people on redwood and hawthorn.

12 comments:

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
scott & molly said...

I will try to find out who's dog it might be. There isn't much we can do until i KNOW who's dog it is and we can take action. For everyone else, if you have a pet, PLEASE:

1. Keep it on a leash, when not contained inside

2. Clean up after your pet - in your yard and everywhere else in the community. We've had issues with dogs "going their business" in the street, common areas such as the playground, other people's yards, etc.

3. If it's aggressive, make 100% sure it won't/can't "attack" anyone walking by.

Otherwise, I'll try to figure this one out.

Scott Hummel
Board of Directors, Thornton Farms
8142 Cypress Circle
scottdhummel@yahoo.com

Littles said...

Sounds alot like "Dusty", who probably has two collars right now due to his owners just having installed an invisible fence. His normal collar is blue, and he likes to tear across his yard.

Although right now he looks afraid to go more than a few feet from their back door.

Melissa said...

it had a maybe 1 to 2 inch wide black nylon collar and a regular one it looked like.

Matt and Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt and Karen said...

Yup - watching him now over at the Boxelder pond trying to chase a bird. The bird is outsmarting the dog, sending the dog into the water over and over again. Now the dog is relieving itself in my neighbor's yard...how lovely. There must be something in our by-laws that we can enforce immediately before something bad happens. Thoughts?

Matt and Karen said...

This dog is actually pretty obedient - it approached our pug at full speed and I told it to sit...it stopped and sat right away. It also was friendly enough for me to get close enough to pet it and read its license number: 4189.

Melissa said...

S/he doesnt seem mean, but their is always that chance that it can get scared and attack. With having a daycare and children of my own thats not a chance I want to take. Also I know of a few neighbors who's own dogs wont go outside if other animals are in their yard. I think my issue is more that we don't have animals, why should we have to pick up poop, and have our yard ruined?

Anonymous said...

FYI- did you know that all dogs are required by law to be register with Washtenaw County Treasurer. This guarentees that the dog has a current rabies certificate.
When we received the binder at closing, all dogs had to be register with the association, are we still doing that?

Barbara Burrell said...

FYI for anyone that finds Dusty. I just spoke with his owner after he was tied outside of my neighbors house for over an hour today. She did give me her phone # and I am going to post it just so that if he is found someone can call her. She says she will come and pick him up if someone can call her. It's not intensional that he is getting out. Her name is Amanda and her cell# 734-757-0553. Call if you find him.

He was barking continuously and I was actually starting to get concerned for his health being in the heat (although my neighbors were kind enough to provide water for him until his owner came) I just felt that he had been out there too long and was worried for him and he was pretty worked up and panting. Another neighbor came by my back yard and saw the dog and motioned me to ask about the dog when I walked out and was just beginning conversation when Dusty's owner approached the dog and she was a bit irritated at first and defensive about the whole situation. According to her people are trying to have the dog put down because he escapes. I don't know about any of that but I will say that she said they do have an invisible fence but since it rained she says some areas are not working properly and he sometimes still gets past it. She obviously loves her dog I could tell that. She just is a bit defensive I believe due to prior problems with other people. She says people are trying to have her dog put down (according to her : not my words I am only relaying what I know) and honestly as much as the dog gets loose and can be a hassle for others he certainly should not be put down. My kids and husband have walked him home in the past and he was just fine. I hate to see any animal put down when really all he needs is most likely is training or a bigger place to roam and run free. But beyond that I just wanted to post this to let everyone know that the owner is making an effort to keep up with her dog she says her mom let him out when she was at work today so that is why she couldnt get here quickly. She came home and found the note on the door and so she didn't know about it until then. She is going to be leaving for college soon and will be taking Dusty with her so for the meanwhile I just hope that we all can keep her informed if Dusty does get loose so that we can keep the problems to a minimum. I hope this helps some.

Barbara Burrell said...

Well I must say that obviously this lady has lied or things have changed but I know one thing for certain, the appearance of Dusty the black dog has not changed. He still makes regular visits around our homes here on Hawthorn and Redwood areas and I am sure other areas. My husband and I have even seen this dog out on the main road by Parker/Jackson. Is anyone ever going to do anything about this dog legally? Or do I have to put him in my car and drive him to the humane society without tags in tow? Sad that I have to say that but come on????? What do we have to do to get something done? Anyone have a better solution? Seriously this is becoming absurd!

Barbara Burrell said...

I also want to make mention that not only does this dog visit he is peeing on my neighbors decks,steps,etc and bothering their pets as well as doing his buisness in their yard. I for one am sick of it and I know my poor neighbors must be as well. Scott, can we get this taken care of??