We're having a humidifier installed on our furnace this weekend. Our indoor humidity has typically been 20-25%, which is a little low. I did a bunch of research and arrived at the Desert Springs model DS3200 (can buy at Lowes). It was a toss-up between that and the Honeywell HE360A, but the DS3200 has little waste water and the company was very responsive to some of the concerns I wrote them about. We have a reverse-osmosis system, so the water will be well-filtered going into the unit.
I found a guy on Craigs list who will install it for $130 plus parts (other quotes came in >300).
I can post my experience with this after we get it up and running if anyone is interested.
I'd also be interested to hear anyone else's experience in this area...
3 comments:
I would love to hear your experience as we also are thinking about getting a humidifier installed on our furnace.
I installed the Desert Springs humidifier onto my furnace myself.
Installing the unit onto the furnace itself is fairly easy. The hardest part was attaching the water line. The unit comes equipped with a copper line attachment for hooking up to existing copper water pipe. The plastic piping we have Thorton Farms is not compatible. I also found that the hard water leads to a lot of build up on the rotating drum and basin. I bought the optional auto flush kit a year later to cut down on the build up. It helps, but the unit still requires cleaning with CLR about every couple months.
Does anyone know how to hook the Humidifier up the furnace directly so it only runs when the Thermostat calls for heat? If so I would be interested in learning how to do that.
If anyone has any questions about hooking up the water line, you can leave them, and I will respond with more detail.
Hi again,
We've had our Desert Springs DS3200 (~$200 at Lowes) for about two weeks now and what a difference! We went from 20-25% to 35-40% in just over a week, and are breathing much better. Plus we don't get static shocks anymore either.
Our filtration system is installed in the basement and taps into the water line for our fridge - so we didn't have to tap into the big colorful tubes. The fridge line used the 3/8" (I think) clear plastic tubing, which happens to be the same size as what the humidifier came with. I just bought a T splitter and shut-off valve for ~$8 at Lowes, and hooked it right into that.
Hopefully the filter takes out most of the gunk, but I still plan to pick up a few more parts and run a "flush" line to the floor drain so minerals don't build up in the reservoir.
Well worth it! Total cost: ~$450.
Post a Comment